Thursday, December 31, 2009
Friday, October 30, 2009
Thursday, October 29, 2009
It's a free upgrade to all current V-Ray customers - get it here: http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html
From the Chaosgroup site:
- Improved multithreading on multi-core machines;
- Ability to specify gizmo falloff for VRayEnvironmentFog;
- Ability to use arbitrary meshes as gizmos for VRayEnvironmentFog;
- Option to exclude the background from VRayEnvironmentFog;
- Added CIE sky models to the VRaySun and VRaySky;
- It is now possible to submit DR servers list for DR through backburner;
- Added option to not use area speculars in the VRayIES light;
- Added Kelvin temperature settings for the color of VRayLights;
- VFB history is now turned off when 3ds Max is in slave mode;
- Output .vrimg and split channel paths are listed in the Asset Tracker;
- GI cache files (irradiance maps, light cache etc) are listed in the Asset Tracker.
- DR fails with large .max files;
- Crash with Remove button for gizmos and lights in VRayEnvironmentFog;
- Crash with Hair&Fur in 3ds Max Design 2010;
- Issue with Arch&Design materials in multi/sub-object material;
- It should not be possible to export already created VRayProxy objects as .vrmesh files;
- Fixed invalid colors with texture-mapped lights when the texture contains black areas;
- Fixed occasional license errors with codes (-209), (-9) and (1000) on slow networks
- Fixed a crash when using a combination of VRayLightMtl materials and VrayDirt with "Work with transparency" enabled;
- Cloning the V-Ray renderer did not clone the override material exclusion list;
- Fixed problems with velocity channel and objects close to the camera;
- VRayToon was black on directly visible dome lights;
- Fixed issue with VRayToon and opacity mapped objects;
- Fixed a problem with hilights in VRayFastSSS2 material;
- Fixed different buckets with interpolated glossy reflections and DR;
- Multi-matte render element did not work with VRaySphereFade;
- Fixed crash with DR in specific cases;
- The MaxScript for exporting .vrscene files now exports "RGB Multiply", "RGB Tint", "ColorCorrect" and "ColorCorrection" textures;
- An added new feature in V-Ray 1.50 SP4 is V-Ray Ambient Light.
- Works with Autodesk® 3ds Max® 8, Autodesk® 3ds Max® 9, Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2008, 3ds Max® 2009, Autodesk® 3ds Max Design 2009, Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2010, Autodesk® 3ds Max® Design 2010.
- 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions are available
VRay-SP4 CIE Clear sky model test from Chris Jackson on Vimeo.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Ian McElroy taught himself how to use Solidworks CAD Design Software just so that he could create this awesome KickBoxer motorcycle concept.
Engine: stock Subaru WRX (Yes, that's a kickass flat 4 boxer car engine!)
Turbo: stock IHI
Rake: 20 degrees
Right angle gearbox: from a Mitsubishi awd car
Transmission: Baker Torquebox
Belt drive: BDL
Front hub: rear hub, 1980's GM car
Rear axle: modified Datsun 280Z stub axle
Rear shock: aftermarket Buell type pull shock
More rendered goodness here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/qmoto/sets/72157622516318731/
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Monday, October 26, 2009
Envato is setting up 3dOcean, an online marketplace where you can sell all your 3D assets: Get an invite here
This is the kind of content they are looking for, (from cg.tutsplus.com):
3D Models - We are looking for anything from animals over anatomy, buildings and architecture, deco and design elements, electronics, engines and parts, fantasy and fiction, furnishings, humans, plants, sports, toys, vehicles of all types, shapes and sizes, ... all the way to weapons and armor and even theme packages.
Materials and Shaders - 3D models need good materials and shaders to unfold their full potential. If you have worked hard to create quality materials and shaders then this is the place where you can make them work for you.
CG Textures - Every CG artist is always on the lookout for good texture resources and this section will be dedicated to textures that are optimized for the use in 3D applications.
3D Print - If you have created a digital piece of art that you would like to sell to the world, be it a figurine, a modeling kit, to scale furniture, detailed vehicle models or anything that can be 3d printed, then this is the section that makes it possible.
2D Concepts - This is a section for character front-side-back views, technical drawings and blueprints or anything that can be used to construct 3d models.
Should be interesting to see how it competes with turbosquid...
Friday, October 23, 2009
Today I'm featuring the work of fellow Cape Town 3D artist silver_shadow. He works mainly in Sketchup - software that I've been reluctant to use to model in, although I often work on Sketchup files that I receive from architects, taking the files into 3ds max, pimping them and rendering them out with V-Ray. However, I didn't realise how powerful Sketchup was until I saw silver_shadow's images. I think the results speak for themselves.
From the sketchucation forums:
- Modelling time: 1 full month (if I add up the bits and pieces during the 2 months)
- File size: 32.9mb
- Rendering: tests took over a time of a week
- Render engines: Introduction page (fryrender – first renders I have done on this application)
- Assembly pages (sketchup v-ray)
- Final presentation images (Maxwell render – first renders I have done on this application)
Thank You silver_shadow/Jacques!
Black Hawk down also happens to be one of my favourite movies - so I'm looking foward to trying to replicate some of the shots from the movie using silver_shadow's 3D Black Hawk model.