Thursday, October 29, 2009
It's a free upgrade to all current V-Ray customers - get it here: http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html
From the Chaosgroup site:
- Improved multithreading on multi-core machines;
- Ability to specify gizmo falloff for VRayEnvironmentFog;
- Ability to use arbitrary meshes as gizmos for VRayEnvironmentFog;
- Option to exclude the background from VRayEnvironmentFog;
- Added CIE sky models to the VRaySun and VRaySky;
- It is now possible to submit DR servers list for DR through backburner;
- Added option to not use area speculars in the VRayIES light;
- Added Kelvin temperature settings for the color of VRayLights;
- VFB history is now turned off when 3ds Max is in slave mode;
- Output .vrimg and split channel paths are listed in the Asset Tracker;
- GI cache files (irradiance maps, light cache etc) are listed in the Asset Tracker.
- DR fails with large .max files;
- Crash with Remove button for gizmos and lights in VRayEnvironmentFog;
- Crash with Hair&Fur in 3ds Max Design 2010;
- Issue with Arch&Design materials in multi/sub-object material;
- It should not be possible to export already created VRayProxy objects as .vrmesh files;
- Fixed invalid colors with texture-mapped lights when the texture contains black areas;
- Fixed occasional license errors with codes (-209), (-9) and (1000) on slow networks
- Fixed a crash when using a combination of VRayLightMtl materials and VrayDirt with "Work with transparency" enabled;
- Cloning the V-Ray renderer did not clone the override material exclusion list;
- Fixed problems with velocity channel and objects close to the camera;
- VRayToon was black on directly visible dome lights;
- Fixed issue with VRayToon and opacity mapped objects;
- Fixed a problem with hilights in VRayFastSSS2 material;
- Fixed different buckets with interpolated glossy reflections and DR;
- Multi-matte render element did not work with VRaySphereFade;
- Fixed crash with DR in specific cases;
- The MaxScript for exporting .vrscene files now exports "RGB Multiply", "RGB Tint", "ColorCorrect" and "ColorCorrection" textures;
- An added new feature in V-Ray 1.50 SP4 is V-Ray Ambient Light.
- Works with Autodesk® 3ds Max® 8, Autodesk® 3ds Max® 9, Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2008, 3ds Max® 2009, Autodesk® 3ds Max Design 2009, Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2010, Autodesk® 3ds Max® Design 2010.
- 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions are available
VRay-SP4 CIE Clear sky model test from Chris Jackson on Vimeo.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Ian McElroy taught himself how to use Solidworks CAD Design Software just so that he could create this awesome KickBoxer motorcycle concept.
Engine: stock Subaru WRX (Yes, that's a kickass flat 4 boxer car engine!)
Turbo: stock IHI
Rake: 20 degrees
Right angle gearbox: from a Mitsubishi awd car
Transmission: Baker Torquebox
Belt drive: BDL
Front hub: rear hub, 1980's GM car
Rear axle: modified Datsun 280Z stub axle
Rear shock: aftermarket Buell type pull shock
More rendered goodness here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/qmoto/sets/72157622516318731/
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Monday, October 26, 2009
Envato is setting up 3dOcean, an online marketplace where you can sell all your 3D assets: Get an invite here
This is the kind of content they are looking for, (from cg.tutsplus.com):
3D Models - We are looking for anything from animals over anatomy, buildings and architecture, deco and design elements, electronics, engines and parts, fantasy and fiction, furnishings, humans, plants, sports, toys, vehicles of all types, shapes and sizes, ... all the way to weapons and armor and even theme packages.
Materials and Shaders - 3D models need good materials and shaders to unfold their full potential. If you have worked hard to create quality materials and shaders then this is the place where you can make them work for you.
CG Textures - Every CG artist is always on the lookout for good texture resources and this section will be dedicated to textures that are optimized for the use in 3D applications.
3D Print - If you have created a digital piece of art that you would like to sell to the world, be it a figurine, a modeling kit, to scale furniture, detailed vehicle models or anything that can be 3d printed, then this is the section that makes it possible.
2D Concepts - This is a section for character front-side-back views, technical drawings and blueprints or anything that can be used to construct 3d models.
Should be interesting to see how it competes with turbosquid...
Friday, October 23, 2009
Today I'm featuring the work of fellow Cape Town 3D artist silver_shadow. He works mainly in Sketchup - software that I've been reluctant to use to model in, although I often work on Sketchup files that I receive from architects, taking the files into 3ds max, pimping them and rendering them out with V-Ray. However, I didn't realise how powerful Sketchup was until I saw silver_shadow's images. I think the results speak for themselves.
From the sketchucation forums:
- Modelling time: 1 full month (if I add up the bits and pieces during the 2 months)
- File size: 32.9mb
- Rendering: tests took over a time of a week
- Render engines: Introduction page (fryrender – first renders I have done on this application)
- Assembly pages (sketchup v-ray)
- Final presentation images (Maxwell render – first renders I have done on this application)
Thank You silver_shadow/Jacques!
Black Hawk down also happens to be one of my favourite movies - so I'm looking foward to trying to replicate some of the shots from the movie using silver_shadow's 3D Black Hawk model.
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
I have bashed my head against the wall too many times trying to learn MAXscript. Using a pre made MAXscript is easy enough, (there are plenty available for free, here), but creating a script of your own is tough. (For me anyway! According to Max's help files:
The MAXScript language is specifically designed to complement 3ds Max. It is object-oriented.....blah blah.......The syntax is simple enough for non-programmers to use, with minimal punctuation and formatting rules.
Dang, the syntax may be "simple enough for non-programmers", but I still don't get it!)
Hopefully this video tutorial by Allen Mackay can help me out :) http://www.allanmckay.com/site/index.php/3ds-max/68-maxscript-for-beginners-1 (the first video in a series of tutorials)
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Check this out: http://surrealstructures.com/blog/?p=410
It's a tutorial explaining how to make a realistic looking curtain using the Cloth modifier in 3ds max, nice one Fran!
Monday, October 19, 2009
Download the latest Hot Fix (2009.09.22) for Autodesk 3ds Max 2010 hereand Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2010 here
Created to improve speed and stability for:
- Camera Maps
- DirectX Shader Material
- double-byte file paths
- Material Editor
- mental ray
- Non-Uniform Scale
- Render Window
- Vertex Color
- and Viewport Performance.
Friday, October 16, 2009
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Olivie Charbonneau has posted an excellent tutorial on how to make realistic grass renderings with V-Ray at evermotion.org
I am personally using VRayFur to make grass, as in the image below, but I think Olivie's technique looks excellent, especially the little flowers - I must try it!
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
There is a whole host of sweet before/after images from the movie District 9 at fxguide
The article's words also explain quite a lot about the shooting techniques, equipment and CGI workflow used in the making of District 9.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Gtools_Jar_Planter is a scatter-type utility that helps you "plant/paint" a list of objects across a surface. useful for adding rocks and trees to a terrain and so forth. Get it for free at www.evvisual.com, here
Guillemro has a whole lot of useful maxscripts on his site, all available for free. If you find them useful, why not show him some props and give him a donation to say thanks for his hard work?
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Photoshop.com has made this iPhone app available via the itunes store for free.
- Basics: Crop, Rotate, and Flip
- Color: Exposure, Saturation, Tint, Black and White
- Filters: Sketch, Soft Focus
- Effects: Vibrant, Pop, Border, Vignette Blur, Warm Vintage, White Glow, etc.
via gizmodo and 9to5mac
Thursday, October 8, 2009
This started out as a test of the 3ds Max 2010 built-in hair&fur solution, rendered out with V-Ray SP3a, but I got a bit carried away with the Psytrance audio. (Thank you Mike :)) Movement is very jerky, but it gives me an idea of what is possible. Next I will add motion blur to the hairs...
Music by Skazi & 40% - Smells Like Homus Spirit
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Monday, October 5, 2009
Alice Labs' Studio Clouds is a plugin for Autodesk 3DS Max 2009/2010 that enables you visualise and edit point cloud data inside 3ds max. (Point clouds are 3D datasets of information scanned using LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) aka High Density Surveying (HDS). Millions of points are scanned from a 3D object or terrain and stored using this method. This plugin makes it easier for you to work with all that data. Give it to me - I wanna try it out! (The Radiohead video for "House of Cards" was made using this technique )
Saturday, October 3, 2009
There is a pretty nice kitchen model available for free at http://3ddb.blogspot.com/2009/10/3d-model-of-kitchen-set.html
It is in 3ds max, Lightwave, obj and 3ds file formats and the max version has V-Ray/VRay materials already applied.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
I'm gonna be totally self-indulgent today and take a trip down memory lane. I guess blogging is totally self-indulgent anyway, so what the hell. Oh, how I loved my Atari 2600 game console, with it's fake wood-grain finish, chunky game cartridge slot and spring-loaded metal reset button! Space Invaders was my favourite game, and I spent many hours in front of the TV trying to beat my dad and mates. Happy sigh :) Ahhhh, the good old days of computer gaming...
More info can be found at http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3551/a_history_of_gaming_platforms_.php ,http://www.atarimuseum.com/ and http://www.atari2600.com/
While I'm on about Atari, how cool is this 18K gold Atari Chip ring, by Sakurako Shimizu. For an old geek like me, this is the coolest shit ever! link
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Monday, September 28, 2009
Building Generator is a procedural building generator script for Autodesk 3d Studio Max. (the script's creator, Tyson Ibele says that it works with 3ds Max 9 and above). You can downolad it for free here
The main User Interface and an example of a building made with the script:
Friday, September 25, 2009
Hiroshi Yoshii is a graphic designer and 3D artist from Japan. He creates these gorgeous little characters using Luxology Modo. What is is especially cool is that some of his creations are turned into real-life plastic toys, which you can buy here: http://factron.net/index.html , although it seems like you need to be able to read Japanese for that site!
Here is a video showing Yoshii doing some polygon modelling in Modo:
Find out more about Yoshii at his personal sites:
Luxology interview with Yoshi: http://www.luxology.com/community/profiles/hiroshi_yoshii/