Chaosgroup has released V-Ray 1.5 SP3 today. (link)
WTF - a free upgrade? Yes, and they made the software better too, with new features that we, the users asked for, and the upgrade is free for anyone who has ever bought V-Ray in the past. Now that's service and if only Autodesk would learn from this.
V-Ray 1.5 Service Pack 3 is compatible with Autodesk 3ds Max 6.xx/7.xx/8.xx/9.xx/2008/2009 as well as Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2009. Both 32-bit and 64-bit OS are supported.
New features included:
- VRayFastSSS2 sub-surface scattering material
- Linear Workflow
- Mesh-based lights
- V-Ray light material as direct light
- V-Ray Fog environmental effect
- Vector Displacement
- Import Proxy as mesh
- Support for Max Arch & Design materials
- Region Rendering directly in VFB
Some renders courtesy of V-Ray developer and all-round-nice-guy Vlado, while SP3 was in development, just to give you an idea: